Server Flavors [Was: Re: Platform vs Product [Was: Re: Moving w3m out of standard]]

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Tue Jun 24 00:10:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> 3.  Provide a way to scalably provide a lot of different configurations for
> many specific use cases that doesn't require much additional configuration
> and sysadmin time.  I've proposed a spec for one approach to move in this
> direction:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-flavors

I really like the idea of "canned" server flavors!

Unique CD's per install (as stated in the blueprint), I think, might
get unwieldy, with perhaps dozens of new server CD's per architecture.
 This is where the hypothetical hosted, vm image builder discussed at
UDS might be nice.  Fill in a few form values, get a coffee, come back
and download your new server image.  Perhaps more scalable than unique
iso for every combination dreamable.

:-Dustin