Platform vs Product [Was: Re: Moving w3m out of standard]

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:32:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Jamie Strandboge <jamie at canonical.com> wrote:
> I suggest we have on the
> server CD a boot option like 'linux minimal' (this has been
> suggested/implied elsewhere in this thread). This might simply be
> ubuntu-standard with the server kernel and a note that mentions running
> tasksel for additional packages (but this will need to be discussed).
>
> Using this methodology, we allow for the functionality and integration
> work that defines Ubuntu, but also provide a server platform that is
> useful for those with specialized needs.
>
> Jamie

ooh, I also like the idea of putting this as a boot option rather than
within the install.  This would keep an "unnecessary" question out of
the installer, leaving less for a newbie to think about (I think this
is very important), while also allowing us "die-hard" sysadmins an
easy way to exclude anything but the bare platform.

James