Moving w3m out of standard

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Mon Jun 23 00:14:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> On 21/06/08 14:53, Eric Hammond wrote:
> >
> > +1 for keeping server minimal or having a bare-bones option
> >
> > I've been maintaining a popular series of Ubuntu images for Amazon EC2
> > (listed at http://alestic.com ).  I like to keep the base install
> > matching the Ubuntu server install as closely as possible so folks know
> > what to expect.
>
> This is an example of a server - use case.
>
> I thought the whole point of the survey we are in the process of getting
> together was to create real end-user data so we can make assessments on
> how to proceed with this question of inclusion vs. exclusion.
>
> --
> Onno Benschop
>
> Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
> --
> ()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
> --- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..
>
> ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
> onno at itmaze.com.au

Hardcore general purpose Internet website server.

Installed Command line installation from Alternate CD.
<http://www.ls.net/node/633>Used tasksel to install desired server packages
Generated package list with dpkg -l
Pulled list of installed packages on current server.
Ran diff to find those on current server not in command line install +
tasksel.
Pulled those packages which support tasks that could be done on a
workstation.
Generated install script which was fairly short.

tasksel install dns-server
tasksel install lamp-server
tasksel install mail-server
tasksel install openssh-server
apt-get install bash-completion
apt-get install ca-certificates
apt-get install curl
apt-get install cvs
apt-get install cvsd
apt-get install finger
apt-get install imagemagick
apt-get install lftp
apt-get install mailman
apt-get install ntp
apt-get install patch
apt-get install php5-cgi
apt-get install php5-cli
apt-get install php5-curl
apt-get install php5-gd
apt-get install php5-imagick
apt-get install php5-imap
apt-get install php5-mcrypt
apt-get install php5-mysqli
apt-get install phpmyadmin
apt-get install php-pear
apt-get install procmail
apt-get install tree
apt-get install unzip
apt-get install vim
apt-get install vsftpd
apt-get install whois

Easier in some ways than a server install.

Jim Tarvid

--
http://ls.net