8.04 server + ubuntu-xen-server dies under disk load on AMD Opteron

David Kempe dave at solutionsfirst.com.au
Wed Jun 18 23:32:59 UTC 2008

James Dinkel wrote:

> Have you thought about using KVM instead?  I know that doesn't solve
> your problem.  But KVM is built into the standard linux kernel.  Xen
> is a fork of the linux kernel.  So KVM should work just as reliably as
> your typical linux install.

Also along the same line of recommendation - have you considered OpenVZ?
If you have all linux guests, the OpenVZ container approach is far more
performant. We have converted our whole hosting environment from Xen to
OpenVZ because of poor disk and network performance with Xen. Haven't
looked back - its been awesome.

Sorry to not actually fix your problem though :) (I think someone else
has in this thread)

thanks

dave