Moving w3m out of standard

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 17 13:26:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:30:01AM -0500, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> But I do see a distinct difference between w3m/lynx/elinks and
> wget/curl.  The latter are useful for scripting the downloading of
> files/content and then acting on it.  The former are more interactive,
> and allow for web searching, following links, reading pages.

Since you're the second person to respond this way, I must not have been
clear enough in my original email.  I did not mean to say that wget provides
the same functionality as w3m.  I only wanted to remind everyone that, even
if w3m is removed from the default install, there are other tools
which implement the relevant protocols for accessing web content
non-interactively, and I don't think that should change.

> We can debate whether an interactive text browser belongs in the
> default server seed, or if we simply document how to install and use
> it in the Server Guide.  I'd like to see an interactive web browser
> remain on the server, though.

I defer to the server team on this point; my main concern is with removing
it from standard.  Note that this saves a megabyte or so on the CDs, and
every bit helps.

--
 - mdz