Moving w3m out of standard

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:04:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
>  * w3m            # we need some text-based html presenter
>
> I'd like to formally cast doubt on this statement from the standard seed.
> This was originally added a long time ago in order to provide a text-based
> browser for use on servers, at a time when the default server installation
> was a strict subset of the desktop.  It is completely superfluous on a
> modern desktop.
>
> Now that this is becoming possible with the new server seed[1], I'd like to
> propose that it move to the server seed instead (or even be removed, if the
> server team doesn't feel it's appropriate).
>
> Note that wget, which is much smaller, simpler and more generally useful
> (e.g. in scripts) is already in standard.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-Intrepid/Report/Server#head-27b6797bcec023c8714310edd0947ee48caaa8f2

Some form of console browser _is_ required - It's a common tool for me
to manage and configure CUPS for example, or browse html documentation
(and no, I don't want to have to install a server package on a desktop
just to look at the documentation - I might be off-site, or even stuck
using some other OS at the time)

I'm all for removing cruft - but a text based browser is a small
package with big benefits to many of us.

Brian