Recommended SATA card?

n2vip at verizon.net n2vip at verizon.net
Tue Jun 17 13:08:20 UTC 2008

>From: David Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com>
>Date: 2008/06/16 Mon PM 08:00:03 EDT
>To: ubuntu-server at lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Re: Recommended SATA card?

>on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/06/2008, James Dinkel <jdinkel at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> then I'd suggest the Silicon Image SiL3114/3124 chipset cards (SATA
>> I/II, four ports). They're supported natively by the kernel, so no
>> third party drivers needed and I've seen them around for ~US$30/$60 on
>> ebay.
>
>That's a lot cheaper than some of the 3ware cards I've seen.

The 3Ware cards are hardware RAID, and the Silicon Image cards are (at best) low-end software RAID with horrible performance (in my exp., but that was on Windows Server box with under-powered CPU - I tried to go RAID5 with a Celeron 2.0 GHz and one of these cards, it was horrible)... I assume they make perfectly fine "straight" SATA I/II ports to use with Linux Software RAID - I had fine performance out of the card when used just for SATA port expansion on the same Celeron Win2003 server box.

Ken Hansen