Recommended SATA card?

David Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Mon Jun 16 21:40:04 UTC 2008

on Mon Jun 16 2008, Ante Karamatic <ivoks-AT-grad.hr> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:35:01 -0500
> "James Dinkel" <jdinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The controller is going to be the issue here.  Any brands of cards
>> that use the same controller are going to be equally supported.  You
>> could check what controller is on your motherboard and try to get a
>> card with that same controller.  However, the Promise SATA controller
>> is very popular and I *believe* is well supported in linux.
>
> Promise will bring you bad results. I would suggest 3ware. LSI/Intel
> will also work, but as Promise, provide bad results :/
>
> Note that I'm talking about RAID cards...

Actually I don't think I care about hardware RAID.  My plan is to use a
NexentaStor VM to run a RAID-Z array, which I guess is technically
software RAID.

My websearches have not shown any overwhelmingly positive 3ware-on-Hardy
reviews.  Is there a specific model you would recommend?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing