Ubuntu/Debian will not install, CentOS will [RAID]

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:24:48 UTC 2008

Here is his response:

Brett I have very little experience with Ubuntu, except that
I know that this card did not work with version that I tried, not more
than few months ago.

3ware 9XXX driver is in kernel forever. However this is new card, new
interface, it is still 9000 series
but it does not work with old driver. This card has PCI Express 1X
connector and old ones have plain old PCI.
Those people know lots about Ubuntu and not much about card that is at
the issue.
I know nothing about Ubuntu but I happen to have tested it with the card.
It is not that driver was dropped, it was just not good enough anymore.

I do know lots about Suse, and I can tell you that Suse always worked
with all 3Ware cards out of the box.
No exception until 9650SE came out. Suse distributions up to 10.2 did not know
what to do with the card. 10.3 however finds and installs it fine now.

Only reason why I tried Ubuntu was because I was looking for Suse
alternatives as
stock driver was not supporting those cards anymore. And I clearly
remember results.
CentOS on other hand was working fine, also it was what was requested
on this server.
Things change all the time. It is perfectly possible that Ubuntu does
support it now.
3ware cards are excellent and I can not see any distribution not
supporting them.
It is just thing of new hardware and catching up to it...

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton at gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!