Ubuntu 8.04 as LAMP machine?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Mon Jun 9 21:05:47 UTC 2008

Luke L wrote:

>Ubuntu gets its packages for new releases from Debian unstable.
>However, the community is large and any bugs are taken care of
>promptly, esp. on the server side.

Ok.  That is what I imagined.

>Hardy, being an LTS release, will receive regular updates and support
>for the next 5 years.

I am aware of that.

>As far as the diff between Deb and Ubuntu AMP packages, well, Ubuntu
>will have a later version. Also, Ubuntu's AMP install is very easy to
>get up and running. It is toggled at OS install time, or by running
>"tasksel" at console. Within minutes you'll have MySQL, PHP, and
>apache2 running on your server.

What is the difference between using tasksel and apt-get install apache2
php5 php5-mysql etc?

I just got up a VM on my machine at home with a standard 8.04 install,
with the LAMP option installed by the install script.  It gave me this:

Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.1 with Suhosin-Patch

SO I need to check with the webdevs that the patch will work ok with our
apps, though it looks like this is going on with 5.2.4 PHP builds in
Lenny also...

What is the difference between a standard Debian network install (with
no extra packages chosen), and a default Ubuntu install with no options
in Tasksel chosen?

Andrew.