Ubuntu 8.04 as LAMP machine?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Mon Jun 9 19:19:08 UTC 2008

Hi,

Posted this to Ubuntu-users to start off with, but got redirected here.

I am interested in deploying Ubuntu as a LAMP machine.  I have mostly in
the past used Debian machines, but some of our web developers want to
use a higher version of PHP (at least 5.2.4), and Etch comes with an
older release.

What is the general stability of the Ubuntu packages such as Apache etc
like?  I took a brief look at the server, and it seems like some of the
packages are coming from Lenny?  What are the differences between the
Debian and Ubuntu Apache/PHP/MySQL packages?

Thanks.

Andrew.