Bug 0 review pls

Malcolm Yates mdy at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 5 09:49:31 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 09:05:29 Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
> ----- "Brett Alton" <brett.jr.alton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am an Ubuntu user (both desktop and server platforms) and I want

> > > give my point of view. When I install a server with LTS I want to be
> > > able to update bugs found in the software for the whole LTS-period.
> >
> > If
> >
> > > I install a new server (with fresh hardware) in the middle of an
> > > LTS-period I want to be able to use the last released LTS-release
> >
> > and
> >
> > > upgrade drivers to support my new hardware that was not supported
> >
> > when
> >
> > > the LTS-release was first released. I do not want to install a
> >
> > normal
> >
> > > release just because the LTS-resease didn't support my hardware at
> >
> > the
> >
> > > release time (when for example my hardware was not manufactured
> >
> > yet).
> >
> > That makes a lot of sense. Almost all server users want to use the LTS
> > version as their needs for the absolute latest and greatest is not as
> > pressing as a desktop user's but the need for support is much higher.
> >
> > Only releasing LTSes might be a bit of a stretch (6.06 -> 8.04 ->
> > 10.04) but if the point releases had more meaning behind them, like
> > Anders said, supporting newer hardware, then releasing only LTSes
> > might make more sense.
> >
> > This becomes more apparent when you realize that developers are
> > supporting up to four (!) releases at the same time. Currently
> > (Dapper, Feisty, Gutsy, Hardy). By the next LTS it will be five (!!)
> > releases (Dapper, Hardy, Intrepid+1, Intrepid+2, Intrepid+3 LTS) [see
> > http://www.markshuttleworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/ubuntu-release
> >-cycle.png and then remember that Dapper is supported until
> > 2011-06]. If they only released LTSes with major point upgrades then
> > they would have to handle three releases at maximum.
> >
> > That sounds easy to me.
>
> Let me throw in some post of a CentOS guy (Dag Wieers) which (rightfully, I
> think) points out some of the difficulties about supporting releases during
> a lot of years.
>
>   http://dag.wieers.com/blog/ubuntus-need-to-catch-a-wave
>
> Now, I'm not sure what the point of this article exactly was, so I can't
> say I agree with the general tence of it, but let me repeat I just mention
> this article as extra info in this thread. He does put his finger on what
> is needed when one wants to support servers for enterprise environments.

It may  be 'difficult' to support long term, but ask any business that relies
on IT ( and I believe that is pretty much all of them these days ;-) and
making then test and deliver on very short cycles is just not possible.

Ask the same of any business built around delivering applications, and they
will give the same answer !

Malc

--
Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings