New meeting time proposal - Tuesday 15:00 UTC

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Tue Jun 3 16:04:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:27:52AM -0500, Rick Clark wrote:

> I have no firm objections, but this will mean leave out everyone in North and
> South America that has an employer that blocks IRC, which is most of them.

Assuming you understand what is allowed by your network acceptable use
policies, and assuming it is possible to run Linux (say via a LiveCD)
and assuming you control a machine out on the Internet, I find
'apt-get install connect-proxy' works very well for most web proxies.

You do things like:

  ssh -o 'ProxyCommand=connect-proxy -H corporatefirewall:80 %h 443' \
     myinternethost.example.org

where myinternethost is running an sshd on port 443.

Or modify to taste to serve up irc.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org