Bug 0 review pls

Aaron Kincer kincera at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 02:48:03 UTC 2008

There are many ways to look at Wine, but I'll point out one obvious
_potential_ use of the technology some day. There are many "server"
applications that could be run on a Linux box with Wine. If you stop and
digest what that suggests as a possibility, you can see that server side
apps could be migrated as is.

Yes, Wine isn't really meant for that. I'm merely pointing out the
tantalizing possibility. And I'm not talking about MS server products
necessarily either. There are a whole host of other companies that just
don't offer Linux versions of their products. I'm specifically thinking of
legacy server apps that may one day be abandoned by their vendor or the
vendor goes out of business.

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by "modify their client Windows
machines", but with Zimbra, you don't have to modify. Reconfigure, maybe.
But you don't even have to touch a machine. You can create Outlook profiles
and push those out with login scripts or via GPO (I believe).

Migrating to Exchange is then a snap as you can do what's called a split
domain where you migrate users at whatever pace you wish. Heck, you could
time it for when a user has a problem and you have to work on their machine
so you can make sure the transition is smooth. Eliminate Exchange via
attrition.

I'm not pimping Zimbra, I just don't think your assertion of complex
barriers is accurate. Your assertion that you can't drop Zimbra in a group
of Exchange servers is definitely not accurate. Unless you mean make it a
member of a cluster. If that is what you mean then you are correct.

To put it simply, there is a clear and manageable migration path from
Exchange to Zimbra if one is willing. But that wasn't the original topic of
conversation as the full blown product is not a FOSS stack. I wish it were,
but it isn't.

Aaron Kincer