Server Team 20080722 meeting minutes

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at canonical.com
Thu Jul 24 12:52:45 UTC 2008

Mathias Gug wrote:
> ==== RAILS integration ====
>
> macd reported that mod_rails has been packaged and uploaded to REVU. mathiaz
> reviewed it and sent his feedback to Neil (the packager). Overall it looks
> good.
>
> macd also mentioned the discussions he's having with the Debian maintainers
> for ruby/rubygems that is taking place in bug 145267[8]. There was some
> discussion about the issue which boils down to a PATH issue. The debian gems
> and the source installed gems don't end up in the same place. Rails apps looks
> in a specific place and rails isn't capable of looking in more than one place.
> soren, macd and persia discussed the path issue and deferred it to #ubuntu-
> server after the meeting.
>
> [8]: https://launchpad.net/bugs/145267

There was a guy speaking at Ubuntu Live 2007 about how he deployed Rails
on Ubuntu.  He have a blog post about some of the stuff he do to
automate the work.  He is working outside the packaging framework, so I
do not know how much of it is applicable for us, but there it is:

    http://blog.railsmachine.com/2007/5/25/ann-machinify-stack-toolkit

Right now, I understand he deploy mostly on CentOS + KVM, but does his
development on Ubuntu + KVM so he must have a clue.  I will try to poke
him in joining the list and sharing his experience.

--
Etienne Goyer, Senior Ubuntu System Support Analyst
Ubuntu Certified Instructor