nfsroot boot long pause

Jimmy Stewpot qmail at oranged.to
Mon Jul 21 17:31:56 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have been working on setting up an nfsroot system so that I can have a
training environment easily mounted remotely. One of the issues I am
having is that when the kernel boots it brings up the interfaces then
there is a very long pause before it mounts the nfsroot. My pxelinux
syntax is as follows

label ubuntu-nfs
   kernel ubuntu-installer/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-server
       append initrd=ubuntu-installer/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-nfs
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=<server ip>:/builds/ubuntu-nfs,nolock
nfsaddrs=::::::dhcp

The pause seems to vary from between 2 minutes and 7 minutes. I thought
that may have been because it was waiting for portmap or something  like
that but I am not 100% sure. Any additional advice or feedback would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.