Ubuntu Server Book Needed?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jul 11 20:14:47 UTC 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008 13:43, Megan Yockey wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Megan with Manning Publications here.  I normally do not post general
> inquiries about books to technical mailing lists, but in this case I
> was encouraged to do so, so here goes.
>
> I'm seeking feedback from the community regarding the interest-level
> for a book on Ubuntu Server.  We've had the book in development for a
> while now, but the project stalled out several months ago, and we must
> now determine whether we should push to complete it or not. In the
> meantime, another publisher has put out a book on the subject, and a
> second book has been announced for later this year (see links to
> Amazon listings below).
>
> So we are wondering, is our Ubuntu Server book still needed? (See
> http://www.manning.com/galvin for more info.) If you have any thoughts
> about whether such a book would be welcomed, please feel free to respond.
> If you would prefer to keep your opinion on this private, you can write to
> me directly at meyo [at] manning.com.  We would appreciate any input that
> you are willing to give.

One thing that has made some of the other (non-server) Ubuntu books successful
is that they were written with the involvement of people who are active in
the Ubuntu community and who participate in development and documentation.
None of your competition seems to have that.  Personally, I sense an
opportunity.

Scott K