Optimizing Apache for 1,000,000 views per day

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 21:15:53 UTC 2008

I've been working with Apache for a couple years now, but I've never
ran into a high-profile enough website to worry about timeout,
prefork, etc. settings.

So I ask, how are the default Apache settings in Ubuntu/Debian for
handling 1,000,000 views per day?

Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10
    MaxClients          150
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
    StartServers          2
    MaxClients          150
    MinSpareThreads      25
    MaxSpareThreads      75
    ThreadsPerChild      25
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

I remember seeing on Digg an interesting screenshot of 'top' when the
Digg effect occured on a server
(http://www.vgpro.com/media/97248c0ca8a6383bd4d699ee4feb0c5b.png).

He or she never posted their .conf file, but their image says "What
Digg.com does to servers hosting front page articles when the
http.conf file is not configured correctly!! / MaxClients limit set
too high - MaxRequestsPerChild too low!!"

Now, I've never had a problem with Debian/Ubuntu and the default
Apache configuration, and I assume this person isn't using
Debian/Ubuntu because they stated 'httpd.conf' instead of
'apache2.conf', but I figured this would be a good discussion for this
mail list.... go! =)

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton at gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!