Installing VirtualBox on Hardy

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Tue Jul 1 20:48:13 UTC 2008

I've had several off-list replies:

Nicolas Valcarcel wrote:
 > Better to use kvm or xen.

Thanks. See below.

James Dinkel wrote:
 > Personally, if (when) I move away from VMWare, I would go to KVM on
 > servers.  This is largely because KVM is much lighter on dependencies
 > (it's already there, in the kernel) and better to manage on a command
 > line-only system.  In fact, IIRC, VirtualBox is incapable of being
 > managed remotely or from anything other than it's local gui
 > application.

VB has their feature known as "headless" that says it does allow full remote
control with no control software on the host. Can't find any explanation other
than in the pdf manual in section 7.4.1:
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.6.2/UserManual.pdf

"7.4.1 VBoxHeadless, the VRDP-only server
While the VRDP server that is built into the VirtualBox GUI is perfectly capable of
running virtual machines remotely, it is not convenient to have to run
VirtualBox if
you never want to have VMs displayed locally in the first place. In particular,
if you are
running servers whose only purpose is to host VMs, and all your VMs are supposed to
run remotely over VRDP, then it is pointless to have a graphical user interface
on the
server at all – especially since, on a Linux or Solaris host, VirtualBox comes with
dependencies on the Qt and SDL libraries, which is inconvenient if you would rather
not have the X Window system on your server at all.
VirtualBox therefore comes with yet another front-end that produces no visible
output
on the host at all, but instead only delivers VRDP data. With VirtualBox 1.6, this
“headless server” is now aptly called VBoxHeadless. (In previous versions, it was
called VBoxVRDP. For the sake of backwards compatibility, the VirtualBox
installation
still installs an executable with that name as well.)"

Jim Rosser wrote:
 > So you don't have a desktop like KDE or Gnome installed?  If the answer
 > is no then you wont be able to run VirtualBox as it is a GUI
 > virtualization application.  You might try Xen which doesnt need a GUI,
 > in fact i think VirtualBox was actually built off Xen, though i wont
 > sware to it.

Correct. This is a server. Which (IMHO, by definition) means it does not run a
desktop or GUI. See above about the "headless" option for VB, which is part of
the reason I was interested in it. It will surely be an improvement over
VMware's console thing.

That's 3 or so votes that I look at Xen or KVM. But I thought these
technologies only worked with Linux guests and you need one of the very new
processors with some extended instruction set for this. Is that not correct?
(My host runs a P4). Can you run A Windows guest on Linux in Xen or KVM on a
garden-variety processor?

Thanks everyone,
Michael