Dovecot and Postfix integration

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 22 13:12:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:34:43AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > If we focus on the SASL stuff for a little bit, IIRC my last
> > proposal was to make postfix's init script do something like:
[snip]
> > How does that look?
> I'm fairly certain I don't like the idea of having the init script
> edit main.cf.  Perhaps some similar magic could be added to the
> dovecot postinst?

That would require the user to have installed postfix first for this to
work.

> Having the init mess with main.cf seems risky and fragile (I could be
> totally wrong on this, it's just a gut feel).

Hm... My gut feels fine :)

> Our plan is to not bring Postfix 2.5 into Hardy as soon as it's
> released, but to wait for this last Postfix 2.4 bug fix, upload that
> to Hardy and, after suitable testing, backport it to
> Dapper/Edgy/Feisty/Gutsy (Dapper will need a source backport due to
> libdb transition to 4.6), and then bring Postfix 2.5 into Hardy.
>
> Please hold off on any experimental changes to the Postfix package until
> Postfix 2.5 lands.

I'm not very keen on stifling all other development just becuase we
intend to backport a new version when it eventually comes out. I also
suspect that as much testing as possible can help you get rid of your
gut problems.. :)

The changes we're discussing here are AFAICS completely orthogonal to
the version of postfix we're doing this to. Furthermore, the changes are
(well, depending on the exact implementation details, but if we look at
what I proposed) fairly well-contained, so it shouldn't be much of a
problem yanking it out for source backports for dapper through gutsy.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team