Ubuntu+eBox status

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 17 21:34:39 UTC 2008

Hi Javier,

Thanks for taking some time to give a short status.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:06:50PM +0100, Javier Uruen Val wrote:
> For example, I had to go back to apache 1.3. The reason was the large amount
> of memory used by apache2 + modperl + eBox in comparison with apache 1.3: at
> least more than 100M. And also some random weirdnesses we didn't have with
> the good-old apache. I backported an apache 1.3.34 package from Debian Etch
> while I track down the problems I've just explained.

That's a rather big change, as apache 1.3 is no longer shipped since
Gutsy. Did you invest some time to figure out what was wrong with the
apache2 setup ?

> There are a couple more of perl modules we have packaged:
> libnet-cups-perl-0.55 and libtree-perl-1.0.

You should submit them for inclusion in universe ASAP.

> I haven't done anything about that yet. It's now when I'll have time to start
> with that. We have to decide what we want to do with this. Merging  eBox
> configuration with user configuration without an external tool which takes
> care of it can be very very tricky.
>
> Another approach is detecting if the file which is going to be overwritten has
> been modified by the user, in that case the user would be informed and
> prompted to confirm changes or cancel. I guess that should be the way to go
> with every single configuration file overwritten by eBox from other packages.

I think this is the right approach. Including a merging tool is not the
most important thing and can be added later. At least local
modifications should be detected, the user warned and asked about what
should be done (overwrite or cancel).

--
Mathias