Forum Poll Questions

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Thu Feb 21 23:37:09 UTC 2008

Mathias Gug wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 07:55:57AM +0900, Onno Benschop wrote:
>> In following the discussion and the ongoing suggestions to add more
>> questions, I'm beginning to wonder if there might be another way to
>> approach this.
>>
>> What if we were to release a poll every month or so, that is, get people
>> in the habit of answering no more than say seven questions and reporting
>> back two weeks later with the results?
>
> Agreed. Let's not try to make a survey that is 42 pages long. The
> shorter, the better as we can announce that answering the questions
> takes less than 3 minutes of your time.

I think we might be confusing targets.  Short polls are a great tool to
get instant opinions on a specific feature or question.  A survey is
however not a poll.  A survey is a way to get a picture on where you are
at and where you could/should go.  Both tools have their uses, but are
quite different...

Now, it is clear that there is no guarantees on how many people will go
through the full survey, and that unless we get at least a hundred
try, won't we?

On the other hand, I do think that we need to restrain ourselves on the
time it takes to answer the questions and one thing I am hoping to get
from the tester is how long it took them to complete it and whether they
think it is too long or not.  When looking at the current 37 questions,
remember that a lot of them are conditional, so the perceived time might
not be directly proportional to the number of questions. Also note that
LimeSurvey has a very convenient way to save a halfway completed Survey
so that one is not forced to complete it all in one shot.

Nick