[Fwbuilder-discussion] How to test a Firewall

Jesse Gordon jesseg at nikola.com
Wed Feb 20 20:35:03 UTC 2008

Hi Mario,

This doesn't answer your question exactly, but here's how I test firewalls:

First run tcpdump or ethereal to capture all packets, on the inside of
the firewall.
Then, from the outside side of the firewall, do all your port scanning
and stuff. If a single packet makes it through, it will show up in
tcpdump or ethereal.

nmap is a good scanner as it will allow you to scan complete port ranges
and probably on a range of IPs as well.
Netcat (the command nc) is also good -- it is like telnet, but it can
establish connections either as a client or server, and it can also work
in UDP mode like a UDP telnet client and server. It can also port scan,
I believe.

There's another graphical tool called packETH who's webpage is down at
the moment, but which is a rather nice arbitrary packet generator
which allows you to construct any sort of packet you want, and send any
number of them you want.

One thing to watch out for with fwbuilder based firewalls is that with
some styles of rules, the rules may be bypassed if a packet from outside
arrives on the 'outside' interface with a destination mac of the outside
interface, but a destination IP of any internal IP -- like 192.168.0.4.
(This scenereo would a likely thing to happen where somebody on your
"public" network set their computer's default gateway to your public IP,
for example.)

Hope this helps,

-Jesse