How to upgrade libnss-ldap on dapper 6.06 LTS

Daniel Hahler ubuntu+lists at thequod.de
Sun Feb 10 02:35:18 UTC 2008

Hello,

> how do i best upgrade libnss-ldap from dapper (libnss-ldap
> 238-1.1ubuntu1) to libnss-ldap verssion >=  v245?
> I dont like the idea to compile it from source since i then have to
> maintain it manually.

You could do the following:
1. Add Hardy sources to your apt sources.list
2. $ sudo apt-get update
3. $ apt-get source libnss-ldap, which should give you 258-1ubuntu2
4. $ apt-get build-dep libnss-dap
5. cd libnss-ldap*
6. debuild -uc -us

Then you have the sources from the most recent Ubuntu version compiled
as .deb.
You need to manually track updates though, unless a newer version enters
the archive, e.g. when upgrading to Hardy.

Instead of steps 1.-3. you can also get the source from launchpad
(https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libnss-ldap/258-1ubuntu2) and
unpack it using dpkg-source.

Instead of building the package on the system directly (steps 4-6), you
could tools like use pbuilder, which build them in a clean environment
and allow e.g. building packages for Dapper on a Hardy system.

If you need to deploy packages to more systems, "local repositories" or
Launchpad's PPA service are a good option, too.

Hope this helps.

--
http://daniel.hahler.de/