ESX testing

Rönnblom Janåke /Teknous jan-ake.ronnblom at skeria.skelleftea.se
Sat Feb 9 21:04:00 UTC 2008

Mathias Gug <mathiaz at ubuntu.com> writes:

>Just to make things complete, were you using the ubuntu-server image ?

Yes!

>By "normal", do you refer to the -server flavour ? There is also a
>-generic flavour, used by the desktop cds.

Yes, the server flavour:

Linux anna 2.6.24-7-server #1 SMP Thu Feb 7 02:04:47 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

>The vmware tools are available under the open-vm-tools package, which is
>in universe.

Nice, i'll try and get them running next.

>You may also wanna try JeOS [1], which a stripped down version Ubuntu
>targeted for virtual guests.

Whats the difference between JeOS and the server image? Can I run everything
that server runs in JeOS? Isn't JeOS more suitable if your developing virtual
appliances? Im just trying to run the server image in VMware ESX.

Janåke Rönnblom
IT avdelningen, Teknous, Skellefteå Kommun
Assistentgatan 23
931 77 Skelleftea (Sweden)
Phone  : +46-910-58 54 24
Mobile : 070-397 07 43
Fax    : +46-910-58 54 99
URL    : http://skeria.skelleftea.se
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." --
Henry Spencer