[RFC] - Mentoring program

Michael Behrens michael.behrens at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 22:34:55 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 12:47 PM, Mathias Gug <mathiaz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following discussions from a previous meeting [1] and on IRC, I'd like
> to start a mentoring program. The objective is to get more people
> on-board and help in one or more of the activities the Server Team is
> leading.
>
> The target population are users that just want get involved in the
> Server Team but don't really know where to begin with due to the
> overwhelming amount of information there is about Ubuntu Development.

Agreed.

As for expectations of such a program, I think from my perspective I would
be looking for pointers to information & resources to get started learning
the
proper "Ubuntu" method of doing things.  Followed with the ability to ask
followup questions as needed.

I agree with the comments made by ScottK and others that the program
shouldn't be hand-holding and that mentors cannot sponsor the mented (if
that is a proper word).  There should be a clear dilineation between work
done by the individual and support provided by the mentor.

Michael
/ faulkes-