Forum Sticky Page for Ubuntu Server Team

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Feb 8 22:33:51 UTC 2008

On Friday 08 February 2008 17:27, Michael Behrens wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008 5:02 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 08 February 2008 13:47, Michael Behrens wrote:
> > > Support:
> > >
> > > Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
> >
> > Please don't list the forums as a place to get support from the server
> > team
> > unless someone is actually comitted to give support there.  AFAIK there
> > are
> > very few developers who spend even minimal time on the forums and we
> > shouldn't raise expectations of what will be available there.
>
> The Ubuntu Server Team is not just developers though, there are operational
> people as well.  I can't argue that people may not spend time on the forums
> as I don't know everyone or their habits.

Sure.  That's why I said unless ...  I don't want to create a false sense of
expectation, but if there are people on board for it, that's great.

> I can say that I do partake in the forums and help where I can, I would
> certainly
> commit to being an active participant in the server forum.

Sounds good.

> I do think the forums give insight into operational issues and
> configuration scenarios which are or should be relevant to the server team.
>
> Additionally, I think we need to make a distinction, that the listed
> support areas are areas in which support and questions can be asked, rather
> than being defined by who "owns" them.

Agreed.  My concern about the forums is that IME the quality level of answers
there is very inconsistent and I think if we (meaning Ubuntu Server Team) are
going to list it as a place we provide support, then we ought to make sure we
have resources to keep the quality where we would want it.

BTW, if you run into mail server questions feel free to ping me on IRC about
them.

Scott K