[RFC] - Mentoring program

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 8 22:32:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:46:43PM -0500, Nicolas Valcarcel wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 12:56 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I would go a bit further and suggest that while a mentor can help their
> > mentee get changes sponsored (where this is relevant), they may not sponsor
> > themselves.
> >
> > This enourages integration with the team and avoids putting mentor in the
> > position of having to say no to ther mentee and potentially harm that
> > relationship if they are unable to sponsor.
> >
> > Scott K
> This idea has a +1 for me, but i want to add some comments about. The
> new contributors (people who start contributing) most of the time are
> exited to start helping and they want to start NOW, no after reading the
> minimal documentation needed, so the mentors should limit themselves on
> putting goals to their mentees, and show them where to find the
> documentation about what they are trying to do, not just saying what to
> do and think for them or do for them. The mentors should just be with
> the mentees and help them to find his/her way, not to walk with them by
> the hand.
>
> About what Scott mentioned there should also be a policy of the mentors
> to not sponsors their mentees work, first for the thing he has said, and
> second because most of the time the mentors help the mentees to make the
> patches/fixes so they can not recheck they mentees work thinking that
> he/she has made exactly what they have been told to do and the correct
> way, so there can be little errors or mischecked changes uploaded.

That raises the point of being reactive at the very beginning. The first
impression counts. So I'd suggest that the first (and second ?) upload
should be done by the mentor to get things going. It also removes the
need to read about the Sponsorship process - understanding the whole
packaging environment is already complicated.

Once the first upload is done, the mentor should redirect to the
sponsorship process and the MOTU ressources for further help.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com