[RFC] - Mentoring program

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 8 17:47:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

Following discussions from a previous meeting [1] and on IRC, I'd like
to start a mentoring program. The objective is to get more people
on-board and help in one or more of the activities the Server Team is
leading.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20080130

Similar programs already exist in other teams, such as the MOTU mentoring
program [2] or the Documentation Team mentoring program [3].

[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Mentoring
[3]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Mentoring

The target population are users that just want get involved in the
Server Team but don't really know where to begin with due to the
overwhelming amount of information there is about Ubuntu Development.

The receptionist of the mentoring program would assign potential
contributors to a member of the Server Team, that would help him to get
started contributing.

The role of the mentor is to help the new member choosing and starting
to contribute in an area he has interest in.  Emphasis should be put on
presenting existing processes, communication channels and key members of
the Server Team and Ubuntu in general.

More specifically:

  *  Even though the initial communication can be hold privately, the
     mentor should push for using public channels (IRC channels,
     existing mailing lists) in order to fully integrate the new member
     in the team.
  *  The mentee activities should be added to the Meeting agenda as soon
     as being defined and reviewed during each meeting.

Existing Server Team members can enrol in the program as mentors on a
voluntary basis. They can specify what area of expertise they have (eg.
mail servers, directories or general). That information is then used to
refine the assignment process.

This is just a brain dump of ideas that emerge after having discussions
with various people. Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

I would especially like to hear (publicly or privately) from users that
would like to contribute but haven't taken the first step yet. What is
refraining  you from getting involved ? Let me know and may be we can
fix it.

It's all about helping you to take this first step.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com