Server Team 2008-02-06 meeting minutes - ESX testing

Rönnblom Janåke /Teknous jan-ake.ronnblom at skeria.skelleftea.se
Fri Feb 8 15:17:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

Mathias Gug <mathiaz at ubuntu.com> writes:

>Thanks for reporting the result of your test. Could you try to use the
>linux-virtual kernel instead of the generic one ? How did you install
>the guest ?

I used the alpha cd image for my initial install in december 2007. I have a few
other
hardys running in ESX also and those I did install for the latest alpha 4.

The server is an ESX 3.0.2 and I also have an ESX 3.5 availible which I'll try
later. Im
running the guest in 32 bit for now but can test with 64 on the ESX 3.5. For
the NIC driver
Im using pcnet32 and atleast in 3.5 you can manually shift to e1000. I'll also
be able to
try this later on.

I have tried the linux-virtual image before but I couldn't get it running. Now
with the
newest version it seems to be running fine. I did an

aptitude install linux-virtual

and after a reboot this is the result:

root at hardy:~# uname -a
Linux hardy 2.6.24-7-virtual #1 SMP Thu Feb 7 02:39:21 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

But what are the difference between the "normal" kernel and the "virtual" one?

However the vmware-tools are not availible in hardy as far as I can see. I'll
try and compile them
myself and see if I'll fail as miserably as last time I tried it ;)

And these are the modules that are loaded:

root at hardy:/var/log/installer# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
lp                     12324  0
loop                   18820  0
ipv6                  266244  18
parport_pc             28324  1
parport                38472  2 lp,parport_pc
serio_raw               7940  0
pcspkr                  4224  0
evdev                  13056  0
psmouse                19592  0
vmxnet                 18432  0
container               5632  0
i2c_piix4               9612  0
i2c_core               24832  1 i2c_piix4
ac                      6916  0
button                  9232  0
intel_agp              25492  1
agpgart                34760  1 intel_agp
ext3                  135816  2
jbd                    46740  1 ext3
mbcache                 9600  1 ext3
sr_mod                 17956  0
cdrom                  37408  1 sr_mod
sg                     36752  0
sd_mod                 30592  3
ata_piix               19588  0
ata_generic             8324  0
floppy                 59460  0
pata_acpi               8320  0
mptspi                 19720  2
mptscsih               27904  1 mptspi
mptbase                60644  2 mptspi,mptscsih
scsi_transport_spi     25472  1 mptspi
pcnet32                34820  0
mii                     6400  1 pcnet32
libata                158960  3 ata_piix,ata_generic,pata_acpi
scsi_mod              150924  7
sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,mptspi,mptscsih,scsi_transport_spi,libata
dm_mirror              24704  0
dm_snapshot            19620  0
dm_mod                 61764  7 dm_mirror,dm_snapshot
thermal                16668  0
processor              36744  1 thermal
fan                     5636  0
fuse                   50324  1

Janåke Rönnblom
IT avdelningen, Teknous, Skellefteå Kommun
Assistentgatan 23
931 77 Skelleftea (Sweden)
Phone  : +46-910-58 54 24
Mobile : 070-397 07 43
Fax    : +46-910-58 54 99
URL    : http://skeria.skelleftea.se
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." --
Henry Spencer