docs for dapper upgrade?

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 4 18:29:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:41:17PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 11:43, Mathias Gug wrote:
>
> I'd suggest that while dist-upgrade isn't the official way, it generally works
> and to the extent it doesn't it's because of packaging problems we ought to
> investigate and try to fix.
>
> do-release-upgrade automates updating sources.list and works through a bunch
> of special cases AFAICT.  I'd suggest that making dist-upgrade work is a good
> goal for improving the quality of our packaging.  We probably won't get
> there, but to the extent we get closer it makes do-release-upgrade's job
> easier and lower risk.

Agreed. Bugs filed because dist-upgrade fails are not marked as Invalid
(because not supported). They should be considered valid bugs.

However the recommended way to upgrade from one release to another is
via do-release-upgrade (which is the method that has been the most
tested).

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com