docs for dapper upgrade?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Feb 4 17:41:17 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 11:43, Mathias Gug wrote:

> I'd mention that although dist-upgrade is available, it shouldn't be
> used. We've seen some request on #ubuntu-server about fixing a
> dist-upgrade failure. The basic answer is to use do-release-upgrade
> instead of dist-upgrade.

JFTR, I did Dapper -> Edgy -> Feisty -> Gutsy over the weekend on a Kubuntu
box using dist-upgrade.  Dapper --> Edgy took some manual installing of
packages to get through and Edgy --> Feisty and Feisty --> Gutsy just worked.

I'd suggest that while dist-upgrade isn't the official way, it generally works
and to the extent it doesn't it's because of packaging problems we ought to
investigate and try to fix.

do-release-upgrade automates updating sources.list and works through a bunch
of special cases AFAICT.  I'd suggest that making dist-upgrade work is a good
goal for improving the quality of our packaging.  We probably won't get
there, but to the extent we get closer it makes do-release-upgrade's job
easier and lower risk.

Scott K