vmbuilder documentation question

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 4 08:10:32 UTC 2008

Kent Tenney wrote:

>>> I see 2 doc pages, the same but different;
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/jeos-and-vmbuilder.html
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOSVMBuilder
>>>
>>> Why are there 2 such similar pages?
>> (1) is updated once per cycle and was originally taken from what I wrote
>> in (2).  (2) has evolved a bit since but (1) is frozen.
>
> I still don't understand the advantage of having both (1) and (2),
> it sounds like (2) will be more up to date.

(2) is a wiki (anyone in the community can contribute/fix it)
(1) is authored and peer-reviewed official documentation (only the doc
team can update it)

Both have their advantages. (2) might be more up to date, but it might
be plain wrong. Usually contents of (2), once reviewed, goes to (1).
This doesn't prevent (1) from containing mistakes.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team