Server Team 20081202 meeting minutes

Mathias Gug mathiaz at
Tue Dec 2 18:03:34 UTC 2008


Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with        
the irc logs here:        

==== MySQL 5.1 in Jaunty ====

ScottK mentioned that the next version of amarok (music player for KDE) would
require MySQL 5.1 as it uses the embedded mysql library (which is not
available in 5.0). He also added that akonadi (PIM manager for KDE) used MySQL
5.0 for now. zul and mathiaz reported that they had been working on merging
5.1 from experimental. However the test suite isn't successfully run during
the build process. There was some discussion about supporting both 5.1 and 5.0
in main. jdstrand from the security team strongly suggested to not do that.
mathiaz also mentioned that a senior MySQL developer blogged about the poor
quality of MySQL 5.1 now that it has been declared stable for production use
(GA) by upstream.

ACTION: zul to document the library transition requirement for mysql 5.1

ACTION:  mathiaz to look into test build failures of mysql 5.1

==== split in multiple sub pages ====

nijaba reported that the KVM wiki page[1] in the community help site starts to
get to big and suggested to split its content in multiple sub-pages.

ACTION: nijaba to add an item about KVM wiki page restructure on the Roadmap
and list the new structure


==== Encrypted home: beta available ====

kirkland reported that encrypted home directory was working well. He asked for
more testing and wrote a post[2] covering how to setup a user with an
encrypted home directory. nijaba asked about performances. kirkland said he
had conducted some basic benchmarks and was interested in a more extensive
performance test.

ACTION: kirkland to create a wiki page for encrypted home directories


==== UDS and beers ====

kirkland asked who was going to be at UDS. While this mini-survey was
conducted mathiaz reminded that dendrobates would buy any server team member a
beer if they found him at UDS. He also added that his LP account[3] had a
picture of him.


==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Because of UDS it was decided to cancel the meeting for next week.

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, December 16th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-

Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer

More information about the ubuntu-server mailing list