8.04-1 won't boot from degraded raid

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Fri Aug 29 17:38:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Michael Hipp <Michael at hipp.com> wrote:
> Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> Among this thread, and the several others bugs on this topic (various
>> aspects of booting degraded RAID), it seems that there are a number of
>> different (perhaps even conflicting) expectations on this topic.
>
> Could you elaborate? I've seen mention of various enhancements (e.g. offer a
> menu choice with a timeout to default). But I thought the basic need
> (configurable to either boot or not) was pretty straightforward.

My patches fixed what I considered to be the 3 most fundamental
Ubuntu/RAID issues:
 1) initramfs support for allowing a system's administrator to
optionally start the system even if the root RAID is degraded, (which
includes setting it in an /etc config file, setting it as a kernel
boot parameter, and choosing it interactively within a 15 second
timeout period)
 2) mdadm debconf support for allowing the administrator to easily
configure this value (to boot degraded or not boot degraded)
 3) grub support for installing the bootloader to each disk in a RAID
providing /boot

If you want to read about all of the other issues in and around this
topic, see the lengthy set of user comments on my spec
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootDegradedRaid#Comments

And see the hundreds of comments attached to bugs: 33649, 120375,
157981, 244792, 259127, 259145.

> Thanks for the explanation. I will attempt to get this done in the near future
> and report results. Is it a necessity to use the most recent daily build of
> 'server' for this testing (the cd images take a while to download out here in
> Hooterville)?

Hmm, well, it will need to be at least Alpha4.  The newer, the better
though.  I just returned from vacation and I will spend some time
testing this from the installer images next week.  Thanks.

:-Dustin