8.04-1 won't boot from degraded raid

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Wed Aug 27 14:11:14 UTC 2008

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Among this thread, and the several others bugs on this topic (various
> aspects of booting degraded RAID), it seems that there are a number of
> different (perhaps even conflicting) expectations on this topic.

Could you elaborate? I've seen mention of various enhancements (e.g. offer a
menu choice with a timeout to default). But I thought the basic need
(configurable to either boot or not) was pretty straightforward.

> One of the absolute prerequisites before myself (and possibly others)
> invest the significant effort required to backport and test the
> functionality, and then begin trying to convince the powers-that-be to
> allow the Stable-Release-Update, is that you and others test the
> functionality as it stands in Intrepid and report back that it behaves
> as you'd want it to in Hardy.  Even then, I cannot make any guarantees
> at this point, but we will need that data to support the request to
> deliver the functionality back to a previously released version of
> Ubuntu.

Thanks for the explanation. I will attempt to get this done in the near future
and report results. Is it a necessity to use the most recent daily build of
'server' for this testing (the cd images take a while to download out here in
Hooterville)?

Thanks,
Michael