New Server Tasks

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 20 13:55:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 08:06:26AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I wonder if we can have a supplemental task that includes a good
> default set of anti-spam/anti-virus from Universe.  The idea would be
> a solid core that could be supported for 5 years and then a
> recommended set of add-ons that are community supported.

> I'd be interested to work on this.

Although I think the seeds could technically do this, I think it's more
likely that we create an old fashioned meta package for this. It's
definitely useful.

> > > b/ what is the reasoning behind including mutt and no webmail ?
> > Also, mutt (along with mailx) servers as good tools for testing when
> > you're setting up a mail server.
> I don't think those are valid reasons for inclusion.  Personally, I've
> never needed either for testing.

I'd find it curious to not have some sort of mail client on my mail
server.

> I think keeping the installed set to a minimum is useful.  If the
> documentation is going to describe using these for testing, then I
> think it would be fine, but otherwise not.

To keep things at a minimum, the mail-server task would really only
install postfix and dovecot. The reason we provide these tasks is to
have a *really* simple way for a novice admin to get a reasonable (not
minimal) selection of packages to accomplish a set of common things.

> Personally, I think of webmail servers as being a separate class of
> server than a proper mail server.  My mail servers do not even have a
> web server installed and I'd like to keep it that way.  I'm certainly
> not going to install PHP to do mail (but I don't provide webmail
> either).

I sense our perception of target audience and use cases differ somewhat.

>>> - do we plan to add some rbl checking to postfix by default ?
>> There are currently no plans to that effect that I know of. That is
>> not to say that there shouldn't be. :)
> I will say it then. There shouldn't be.  Mail server administration is
> not a newbie task.  I do not believe it's possible to automate the
> setup to where it will just work.

Right, it probably shouldn't be *enabled* by default, but we should
definitely make it easier than it is right now.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team