Virtualization in Ubuntu Server

Malcolm Yates mdy at canonical.com
Wed Sep 19 08:39:19 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 22:52:05 Dave Kempe wrote:
> Sander van Vugt wrote:
> > I'm planning to use Ubuntu Server as the platform to use virtualization
> > on. Is Xen the technique to focus on, or is in your opinion Virtual Box,
> > Parallels or SWsoft as good as a solution?
>
> Hi,
> we use Ubuntu server pretty extensively for virtualisation and have been
> disappointed with the performance and stability of Xen in general. This
> has nothing to do with Ubuntu because we have tried Xen from source,
> packaged our own latest versions with new kernels etc.
> So we are now migrating everything to OpenVZ. We have backported vzctl
> and deps to dapper and have a decent 2.6.18openvz kernel. Very happy
> with openVZ - it understands whats its trying to do alot more than Xen,
> is rock-solid, and does cool stuff like live-migrations without shared
> storage! Its linux only of course, but thats fine if all you care about
> it Linux...
>
> OpenVZ is the opensource version of virtuozzo, from Swsoft. The
> development team is really active and getting 2.6.22 support is steaming
> ahead.

Remember that Virtuozzo is great for virtual machines that are identical :
this is why they have a huge market share in ISPs, and for that it has to be
stable.  It is less flexible as a general purpose, multi-use type
virtualisation.

Malc

--
Come and join in planning for Ubuntu 8.04 :
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/spotlight/uds