server blueprint review

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Sep 11 06:21:49 UTC 2007

Re: my agenda item for tomorrow's meeting:

 * Talk about specifications tracking and the need to clean them

Here are some quick notes and links.

11 blueprints are listed for the server team at
 https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/

Those and all the blueprints related to each member of the team
are at
 https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/+specworkload

This agenda item started with my note about the outdated wiki "talk"
page from 2005: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/talk

Many of the same ideas keep popping up on the irc channel and in
specifications and discussions.

In particular there continues to be lots of interest in various ways
to make it easier to set up and administer common services.

Re: https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/

 Are there any that shouldn't be there?
   Note overlaps of these blueprints:

     ubuntu-easy-business-server (ebox)
     administer-server-via-web-interface
     sysadmin-framework-eval
     groupware-server

 Are any missing?
 Are the entries up-to-date?

It seems to me that the next LTS is a big deal for the server team,
and it is coming up fast and we'll want as much experience as we can
get with new features.  I wonder if the dates will be tight, since
we'll want to provide lots of time for QA.  UDS Boston isn't until the
end of October, but should we consider reviewing blueprints sooner
rather than later?  Though I know that testing/bugs in gutsy are high
priority now....

Should we consider working on some of these (ebox?) via a PPA?

Finally, note the other specs that team members are interested in.
And note that many older specs exist that are server-related.  It is
hard for folks that run across them by browsing specs or finding them
via search engines to tell if they are active.  Is there any process
to mark them as outdated or clean them up?

Note also ServerVisions wiki page idea.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/