Ubuntu is <BEEP> nothing coz it lacks that services in its installer CD

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 24 07:58:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 09:35:02AM +0630, Nay Myo Win wrote:
> DHCP
> DNS
> Squid
> File Server
> Print Server
>
> I can't find above service in sypatic package and add/remove program.

Add/Remove programs is meant for desktop applications.

> what the <BEEP> i can do without them as an Admin?

You can find all of those things in synaptic.  You just need to realise
that for example there's no package called "File server". You can serve
files in many different ways (http, ftp, cifs, and nfs, just to name a
few) and that functionality is provided by different packages (apache2,
vsftpd, samba, nfs-server-kernel, for instance).  Synaptic should be
able to help you search for the packages you need. If that doesn't help
you, you can *politely* (this is very important) ask for help in
choosing the right software for your needs.

> *** can't log in as "root" by typing "su -"  **********

Correct. Ubuntu encourages the user to not log in as root, but to use
sudo to run the specific commands that require root privilege. So,
instead of:

soren at sirius:~$ su -
root at sirius:~# adduser john
Adding user `john'...
[etc, etc.]

...what Ubuntu wants you to do is:

soren at sirius:~$ sudo adduser john
Adding user `john'...
[etc, etc.]

You will notice that every time you start a terminal, you see the
following helpful notice:

  To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
  See "man sudo_root" for details.

If you have suggestions as to how we can make it any more clear than
that, please share them.

> it is the worst of <BEEP> ubuntu.
> no other Linux don't make us angry

No other users make us quite as angry as you. Please behave in a
respectful manner. I do believe we've earned it.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team