calendar sharing/groupware for hardy

Adam Sommer asommer70 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:19:17 UTC 2007

Apple is also developing a CalDAV server:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/calendarserver/

It's written in Python, and is FOSS I'm not sure of the exact license
though.  I know from the mailing list that it will compile on Linux, but
installation and configuration aren't that user friendly at the moment.

Another idea anyway.

On 10/11/07, Jack Ryder <ryder.jack at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree calendar sharing is a missing features under GNU/Linux.
>
> However I recently tested two interesting email server platform for Linux.
> - Zimbra Open Source Edition.
> - Hula (the open source edition of the former Novell NetMail).
> Both are fully supported under Ubuntu (6.06 at least)
>
> Zimbra provides more features and it is a wonderful products but is not
> release under GPL.
> Hula is still beta but was based on the rock solid Netmail platform. It
> has been released under GPL.
> I would love that the community invests more efforts into Hula (seems that
> Novell totally stops
> supporting the project) and makes it come to universe.
> I think it is a good basis.
> Novell formerly planned to merge Hula with iFolder (GPL as well) to
> provide a collaborative solution
> for the community but I don't read any recent news about this.
>
> 2007/10/11, Dave Kempe <dave at solutionsfirst.com.au>:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> > before I make a wiki page about calendar sharing, I was wondering if
> > anyone has any other recent experiences with Calendar sharing with
> > ubuntu? from the server side of course.
> >
> > I have one I would like to share and think that it represents something
> > we will be offering as a calendar sharing solution as an alternative to
> > exchange for our SME clients.
> >
> > I have a client who already uses Thunderbird and courier imap. They
> > lacked internal facing calendar sharing and I hadn't checked the state
> > of play recently.
> > So I installed lightning (the thunderbird add-in for calendaring) and
> > setup Really Simple CalDAV Store:
> > http://rscds.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > It was pretty easy (they provide an apt source) to get going and seeing
> > as I already had postgres for their CRM (centric) worked out pretty
> > well.
> >
> > So with a little amount of effort (just configuration) I was able to
> > have calendars all shared and updated in a read write fashion from
> > Thunderbird. Access control is handled by the RSCDS web interface and
> > works pretty well, though the group specification needs some work...
> >
> > A few points about the solution:
> > * Lightning is under heavy development now and will be even nicer by
> > Hardy release time
> > * RSCDS needs more authentication options. I am happy to contribute
> > coder time to make PAM-auth happen, as this would let us tie into other
> > authentication schemes. The current auth means you have yet another silo
> > of user/passes.
> > * RSCDS is begging to be integrated in to Ebox or some other web
> > interface for easy access (not that I use or have tried ebox)
> > * I think the biggest roadblock to the whole linux-groupware-problem is
> > actually Outlook, so I wanted a solution whereby people did not have to
> > use it. Thunderbird/IMAP/RSCDS/Webmail(squirrelmail) will get most
> > people so far its now a great combo.

> [...]

Party On,
Adam