some new ubotu factoids useful in #ubuntu-server
neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Nov 27 15:48:00 UTC 2007
Here (finally :-) for your review are some proposals for new ubotu
factoids for use in #ubuntu-server, as promissed in the server
* mail-server - Ubuntu provides mail client and mail server software off all kinds. See "mua" (Mail User Agent), "mta" (Mail Transfer Agent), and "mda" (Mail Delivery Agent) for more information.
* mua is an abbreviation for Mail User Agent. Examples include evolution, thunderbird and mutt. They are alternatives to programs like Windows Outlook. See also "mta" and "mda".
* mta is an abbreviation for Mail Transfer Agent. postfix is the default MTA for Ubuntu, and exim is also officially supported. See also "mua" and "mda".
* mda is an abbreviation for Mail Delivery Agent. dovecot is the default MDA for Ubuntu, and it can deliver mail via imap and pop.
* imap is a protocol for reading email. The officially-supported imap server in Ubuntu is dovecot.
* pop is a protocol for reading email. The officially-supported pop server in Ubuntu is dovecot
* nic is an abbreviation for Network Interface Card. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingHardwareDetection for help detecting cards and getting the right kernel driver module.
* ntp is an abbreviation for Network Time Protocol. Ubuntu uses it via the ntp package to keep clocks in sync.
There are a few more on the roadmap but this is a good start.
Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/
More information about the ubuntu-server