Server issues

Thu Nov 22 02:44:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:10:54 +0100, Ante [UTF-8?]Karamatić wrote
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:15:59 +0100
> "Sebastien Estienne" <sebastien.estienne at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > sebest at delly2:~$ cat /etc/default/avahi-daemon
> > # 0 = don't start, 1 = start
> > AVAHI_DAEMON_START=1
>
> But, that's not enough. Avahi (and everything done to make it
> usable) breaks some stuff on computers on which it doesn't even run.
>
> Best example is broken PPTP (VPN) when the other side is using .local
> domain. Then you have to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and remove all the
> mdns stuff.
>
> I'm all for removing avahi. It did me more harm than good.

Can we make Ubuntu fix Microsoft's split-horizon DNS bug, too?  And the other ones?
Shouldn't we should fork Mozilla to make it render more like IE?  After all, IE is the
standard, even though it's broken and non-conformant to CSS.  That CSS-conformant
rendering does more harm than good, too, doesn't it?

Stop using .local for unicast, and everything works great.  Microsoft's problem.  NOT
Ubuntu's.  Not MacOS's.  Not SUSE's.  I like that [Ubuntu] Linux does things
properly.  By the by, does the default workgroup ~have~ to be MSHOME?  And why
does 'dd' default to decimal megs/gigs, not binary...

Oh fine, I'll give it a rest.

David L. Willson
Trainer/Engineer/Consultant
MCT, MCSE, Linux+