JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 21 20:43:27 UTC 2007

Hi Neal,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 12:20:12AM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> I think it would be timely to talk some more about JeOS, so I put this
> on the agenda for tomorrow:
>
>  JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy

Thanks for bringing this up. There was a discussion during the IRC meeting
about various points, but nothing conclusive emerged. So I'm bringing
this back to the mailing list.

> Gutsy JeOS documentation:
>  Use a wiki page to talk about the .iso and linux-virtual kernel
>    and ubuntu-jeos-builder?
>  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ?
>  (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM is very helpful on networking....)

It seems that the biggest problem is documentation. Starting with a wiki
page seems to be a first step in that direction.

An important point that needs to be clarified is the difference between
Ubuntu JeOS used as a guest vm and the infrastructure used to generate
virtual machines or isos.

nijaba volunteered to write a tutorial for JeOS and agreed to use a wiki
page for his work (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ??).

> Mailing list - need a separate list to better include users?
>  and use the server team list for development?

I think for now using ubuntu-server as the mailing list is enough. If
things start to get too noisy here, we can always create an extra mailing
list. Link to this mailing list should be added to the documentation.

> Backport of ubuntu-jeos-builder to gutsy?  Use ppas?
>  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/
>  Already much more fun/useful than the ISO I think.

I've seen some code activity on the project in the last few days. Links
to bzr branches should be added to the documentation.

There was also some discussion about new features.  soren mentioned that
these should be tracked by filing new bugs on Launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/+new.

--
Mathias