Server issues

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 21 18:10:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 11:43:50AM -0600, Loye Young wrote:
> > I really don't understand why you want to install desktop applications
> > on your server and refuse to disable avahi?
> I don't know what more I can say that will enable you to see the world
> through the eyes of small business owners, who are my customers for
> server products.

Look, you're really and truly barking up the wrong tree here. Please
take a few steps back and consider what your problem actually is. The
problem isn't that our desktop system provides avahi out of the box. Far
from it. The problem isn't that small business owners won't know how to
disable avahi. The problem might be that using the Ubuntu Server edition
is too difficult for these users. Does that sound about right? If so,
please let's work on solving that, rather than worrying about whether
our desktop edition does something you disagree with.

> > MO instead of using gtk apps to setup a server, ebox
> > (http://ebox-platform.com/index ) would be a better alternative.
> Again, you are looking at the world through the eyes of one who
> already knows.

> eBox is great if you already know how to set up a webserver using the
> command line and a text editor.

Again: Wrong question. Wrong problem. Actual problem: Getting from a
plain server install to one with eBox ready to go is too difficult. See?

> Instead, we need a desktop GUI to administer Apache, too.

No. If you want to hammer in a nail, but you find that your hammer is
upside down, you don't go out and buy a new one, and you don't start
hammering it in with a rolled up newspaper. You turn your hammer around
and get to work. Right tool for the right job.

I realise that this says something of my way of communicating, but I
feel it necessary to point out that I'm by no means trying to be
offensive, I'm just trying to get a point across. If you feel offended,
I apologise in advance.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team