Server issues

Loye Young loye.young at iycc.net
Wed Nov 21 17:43:50 UTC 2007

> I really don't understand why you want to install desktop applications
> on your server and refuse to disable avahi?

[Loye banging head against desk]

I don't know what more I can say that will enable you to see the world
through the eyes of small business owners, who are my customers for server
products.

I personally know how to set up a minimalistic, command-line, server
environment. I also know how to roll my own desktop that doesn't drag in
avahi, so I never have to disable it. (BTW, your simplistic solution to
"disable" avahi doesn't work over the long haul. Yes, it stops it from
starting on the next reboot. But experience has taught me that it doesn't
stay disabled over any reasonable number of software updates. The real
solution is never to install it in the first place.)

The small businesses who are the best candidates for Ubuntu SE find a
desktop environment on a server to be irresistible, even required. The
learning curve to administer a server is too steep without a GUI to assist
the admin. Besides, why should the customer be put to the choice between (a)
an insecure, unstable, but intuitive server OS (MS Server) and (b) a secure,
stable, but inscrutable server OS (Ubuntu SE)? There is no reason NOT to
give the administrator the security, stability, and standards-compliance of
Linux with an intuitive, documented GUI in the spirit of Ubuntu.

> MO instead of using gtk apps to setup a server, ebox
> (http://ebox-platform.com/index ) would be a better alternative.

Again, you are looking at the world through the eyes of one who already
knows.

eBox is great if you already know how to set up a webserver using the
command line and a text editor. But if the webserver itself gets messed up (
e.g., the admin forgot to put "/Directory" at the end of the site
configuration block and apache won't start), the admin is SOL.

Instead, we need a desktop GUI to administer Apache, too. There is a project
to port YaST to Ubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YaST), which is a step in
the right direction. See also
http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-22_11-93051.html. I'd prefer a gtk
tool in order to minimize the number of dependencies, but the concept is the
right one.

Loye Young