Server issues

Tue Nov 20 21:59:18 UTC 2007

About this .local domain:  I know there's an RFC that defines it for use
with multicast, but I was not aware that "the Microsoft one is the one
the IETF standardized".  I always thought that Microsoft made this
recommendation for using .local in violation of the RFC, like they
violate the CSS standard (one pixel off render bug), and the DHCP
standard (non-release at shutdown, continued use of an expired lease),
and some DNS standards (undocumented client fail-over).

Can someone point me to the relevant IETF document, so I know what the
standard is?