Server issues

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 15:15:59 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 3:52 PM, Loye Young <loye.young at iycc.net> wrote:
> I can't be at the meeting today, but I have two issues that trouble me.
>

> AVAHI
> I absolutely hate avahi. I don't want my machines to be advertising
> services and trying to find them, especially when I am running a
> server that's connected straight to the Internet. But getting avahi
> off a system is harder than I expected, especially since avahi doesn't
> seem to have good documentation.
> (1) Should avahi ever be on a production server that's exposed to the net?
> (2) Is there any documentation on how to get it off the system and
> still leave the system in a usable and upgradeable state?

About not starting avahi-daemon: (this is ubuntu/debian specific)
sebest at delly2:~$ cat /etc/default/avahi-daemon
# 0 = don't start, 1 = start
AVAHI_DAEMON_START=1

set it to 0 and then sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon stop
Now on avahi-daemon will never start again

If you only want avahi to publish nothing, just read the manpage:
avahi-daemon.conf it is in the "SEE ALSO" of avahi-daemon
disable-publishing=yes

there are a lot of other well documented options to fit your needs

About documentation, i think that every avahi tools has a manpage
sebest at delly2:~$ man avahi-
avahi-autoipd         avahi-autoipd.action  avahi-daemon
avahi-daemon.conf

On avahi website:
http://avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users#Documentation

So what is the missing documentation in avahi?

> DOCUMENTATION
> Every package should have a man page as a matter of course, because
> the manpage system is the standard documentation This is especially so
> in a command-line only environment. manpage-alert tells me that about
> 10% of the packages on my server, and 20% of the packages on my Ubuntu
> desktop machines, don't have man pages. Substantially all of the
> missing man pages are from packages that are maintained by the Ubuntu
> community. Debian policy requires man pages before including the
> package in the repositories. Every once in a while, some slip into the
> repos without the man pages, but mostly Debian does a good job of
> requiring this basic level of documentation.
>
> Happy Trails,
>
> Loye Young
> Isaac & Young Computer Company
> Laredo, Texas