Call to current maintainer of the server guide

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Tue Nov 6 19:40:26 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 13:40:14 Matthew East wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/11/2007, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> > Let me explain my two thoughts on this:
> >
> > 1.  If you want to start contributing to the server guide how do you do
> > you start?  Where do you find the server guide?  The goal is to ease
> > contribution to the server guide instaed of having to checkout the entire
> > ubuntu-hardy branch and just work on the serverguide-hardy branch
>
> Personally I think the advantages of having the material in the ubuntu
> branch outweigh this - as per my last email it's very easy to find and
> a lightweight checkout of the branch is very quick.
>
> > 2.  The server team wants to ship the serverguide as part of the build.
> > Wouldn't it be easier to ship the serverguide and that is it, instead of
> > having to ship the entire ubuntu-docs packavge?
>
> I don't think you've investigated properly how this is currently done
> - the serverguide is already shipped in a separate package. It is in
> the ubuntu-serverguide package which is totally separate from the
> ubuntu-docs binary package (although the ubuntu-docs binary package
> also uses the same sever material for the desktop help). Both packages
> build out of the ubuntu-docs source package. As far as I know the
> ubuntu-serverguide package is included in a standard ubuntu server
> installation - if not then it is trivial to add it.

I was under the impression the server guide was both not updated for the
release and also not a part of the server release.  Can someone correct me if
wrong on both things?

I'm just trying to ease this the ability to update and continue to release a
great guide based on some discussion from UDS

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Jonathan