Call to current maintainer of the server guide

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 6 18:40:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 06/11/2007, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> Let me explain my two thoughts on this:
>
> 1.  If you want to start contributing to the server guide how do you do you
> start?  Where do you find the server guide?  The goal is to ease contribution
> to the server guide instaed of having to checkout the entire ubuntu-hardy
> branch and just work on the serverguide-hardy branch

Personally I think the advantages of having the material in the ubuntu
branch outweigh this - as per my last email it's very easy to find and
a lightweight checkout of the branch is very quick.

> 2.  The server team wants to ship the serverguide as part of the build.
> Wouldn't it be easier to ship the serverguide and that is it, instead of
> having to ship the entire ubuntu-docs packavge?

I don't think you've investigated properly how this is currently done
- the serverguide is already shipped in a separate package. It is in
the ubuntu-serverguide package which is totally separate from the
ubuntu-docs binary package (although the ubuntu-docs binary package
also uses the same sever material for the desktop help). Both packages
build out of the ubuntu-docs source package. As far as I know the
ubuntu-serverguide package is included in a standard ubuntu server
installation - if not then it is trivial to add it.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org